Book notice appointment

What documents do we need to be able to give notice? 

Please read this information carefully. If you do not bring all the required, original, valid, documentation we will not be able to complete your notice and a further appointment will have to be booked and paid for. 

To give notice you will need to provide evidence of:  

Your nationality 

You need to bring ONE of the following: 

  • Valid Passport; or
  • Valid Travel Document; or
  • Biometric Residence Card or Permit; or
  • Citizenship certificate confirming British citizenship; or
  • British birth certificates
    • If you were born prior to 1 January 1983 we will need to see either your full or short birth certificate.
    • If you were born on or after 1 January 1983 we will need to see your full birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, PLUS either your mother or father's British birth certificate if your parents were married when you were born. If your parents were unmarried when you were born then only your mother's birth certificate can be accepted. If your parents were born outside the UK, then you must provide evidence of British nationality at the time of your birth.
    • If your parents were born on or after 1 January 1983 we will also need to see evidence of their parent's nationality. As this can be quite complex please contact us on 0300 555 0255 if further clarification is required

EUSS settled status (if applicable) 

If you and/or your partner are EEA nationals with settled status, granted or applied for before 1 July 2021 you must obtain a share code prior to your appointment and bring this with you on the day. - View and prove your immigration status

If you and/or your partner are EEA nationals without settled status, granted or applied before 1 July 2021 then please refer to the documents listed under the heading of - 
We are British, Irish or EEA nationals with EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status granted or applied for before 1 July 2021.

Your address 

You need to bring ONE of the following: 

  • Utility bill dated within 3 months 
  • Bank or building society statement dated within 1 month 
  • Council tax bill for the current year  
  • Mortgage statement from the current year 
  • Residential tenancy agreement from the current year; or 
  • Valid UK driving licence 
  • Letter from the owner or proprietor (PDF, 82KB)

Evidence of your age 

If you and/or your partner are under the age of 18 we will need to see proof that your parent, or guardians, agree to the marriage. If your parents are divorced, we may also need to see the court order that gives custody to one of them. 

Evidence of any name changes 

You will need to bring your change of name deed poll or statutory declaration, together with your previous marriage or civil partnership certificate(s)  

If you are divorced or widowed 

You cannot give notice if your divorce / dissolution is still in progress. 
If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, we will need to see: 

  • Decree absolute/Final order/Dissolution –
    • if your divorce/dissolution was granted in England or Wales and you have been issued with a paper version from the court we will need to see this original document
    • if your divorce/dissolution was granted in England or Wales and you have been issued with an electronic version, we will need to see this and the covering email
    • if your divorce/dissolution was granted outside England and Wales, we will need to see the final divorce documents issued along with a full translation into English if the document is in any other language
    • a fee is chargeable for clearance of divorces/dissolutions granted in countries outside England and Wales. In some cases, they may be referred to the General Register Office. There is no time frame for approval, please take this into account when choosing your ceremony date as there could be a significant delay
    • The death certificate of the former spouse/civil partner – if the surviving partner is not mentioned on the death certificate you must provide a certified copy certificate of the marriage or civil partnership

If any of your documents are in any language other than English 
You will need to bring the original document plus a full translation, into English. These documents must be certified at the bottom by the translator stating “I certify this to be a true translation of the document”. The name, address, telephone number and signature of the person who translated the document(s) must be included. 

If you and/or your partner do not speak and understand English 

You will need to bring a translator to your appointment and ceremony. A translator can be a family member or friend, but you cannot interpret for each other. 

If you and the registrar are not able to understand one another then the appointment will have to be cancelled and rebooked, incurring another booking fee. 

Home Office guidance for couples subject to immigration controls

Registrars are required to refer all marriage and civil partnership notices to the Home Office if one or both of the parties are EEA nationals without settled status granted or applied for before 1 July 2021; or one or both of the parties are non-EEA nationals who do not provide specified evidence that they have (a) settled status in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Enter or Remain), (b) an EU law right of permanent residence in the UK, (c) a marriage or civil partnership visa, or (d) exemption from immigration control (e.g. with the right of abode in the UK).  

The Home Office may decide to extend the 28 clear day notice period to 70 days for further investigation. The Home Office will inform both parties, in writing, if this is the case. 

If you do not comply with the investigation, you will be unable to marry or enter into a civil partnership on the basis of that notice. 

If none of the above documents are available, please contact the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837 for guidance 


Contact us